As an outdoor company dedicated to enhancing and inspiring exploration for adventurers and their human companions, we do things a little differently. We believe success goes beyond making great products. Our privately held company mindfully reinvests its profits back into our business to create a sustainable, nimble organization. Our adventurous and curious team is empowered to take calculated risks that promote product innovation, strengthen customer relationships and reduce our impact on the planet. Ruffwear partners with grassroots organizations and initiatives like The Conservation Alliance, working together to protect and restore the wild lands and waterways where canines and humans connect and thrive. What started as a one-man endeavor in 1994 is now a globally recognized leader in the outdoor industry, and our culture has been recognized by Outside Magazine as one of its 100 Best Places to Work. Based in Bend, Oregon, our warm and collaborative atmosphere at Ruffwear invites the sharing of ideas through respectful, stimulating dialogue and enthusiastic support for the implementation of new initiatives. Our faithful pack is intrepid enough to climb a mountain, but prudent and canny enough to backtrack if the route doesn’t feel right, and resourceful enough to blaze a new trail to the summit. We are looking for a seasoned product designer with a sense of adventure and a knack for assessing the entire design process to join our talented design team. Intrigued? Read on.
- An innovative product designer looking for a collaborative role where you can draw on your diverse experience to truly make a positive difference for people who play outdoors.
- An expert on all facets of the design process who has a well-earned reputation for providing consistent observations of, and suggestions for, improving the flow of a design department.
- Known for your integrity, respectful demeanor and easy-going personality.
- Self-directed and adept at both starting and finishing projects on a deadline.
- A valuable member of the design teams you’ve worked with who respect your deep experience and count on your ability to be a thoughtful and courteous sounding board.
- Curious, motivated and love staying on top of current trends including color palettes, aesthetic form, function and design process best practices.
- Practical as well as creative, and have a real-world understanding of material, design and production processes.
- Adaptable and enjoy working with diverse personalities in an ever-shifting, fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Flattered to be the go-to person for others who gravitate to you for advice, inspiration and encouragement.
- Resilient and open to hearing suggestions about your work; you don’t take evaluations of your ideas personally.
- A confident and passionate communicator who creates excitement with stakeholders when presenting design projects.
Fast-forward one year from today:
- You have ownership of multiple design projects that you deliver on time including the creation of prototypes, Tech Packs and development notes for the product development team and manufacturing partners.
- The entire design team feels inspired and supported by you, and know they can count on you for respectful, open-minded feedback.
- You love arriving at our newly-remodeled, energetic workspace every day and collaborating with your peers on the design team because your input is heard, valued and ultimately contributes to pushing innovative ideas, and you are excited about opportunities for long-term growth.
- You have earned trust and respect company-wide for your honest character and dedication to Ruffwear’s philosophy and core values.
- Our design process has been finely tuned because of the careful evaluation and honest feedback you have provided to our team to improve efficiency, performance and innovation.
- You work well with our international teams because of your sensitivity, poise and gift for navigating and embracing cultural differences.
- You are skilled at interpreting the design ethos our company was founded upon and listen to the stories of others to inform your designs for high-quality, performance dog gear.
- You have fully embraced the Ruffwear culture and appreciate working and playing with your pack.
Are you ready for your dream product design role with one of Outside Magazine’s Top 100 Best Places to work in Bend, Oregon? You have:
- 10+ years of design experience, ideally with both hard and soft goods.
- A passion for the outdoors and an answer to #mydogismy.
- Worked at various levels within a design department and have a deep understanding of the complete process necessary to create a diverse product line.
- Practical knowledge of 3D printing.
- Full comprehension of design software including Illustrator, SolidWorks, Fusion360, Photoshop and CAD.
- Proven experience creating prototypes and of Design for Manufacturability (DFM).
- A design school degree.
- Excellent communication and people skills.
- A track record of meeting increased responsibilities.
- The ability to both self-direct and work collaboratively.
- A respectful, ethical and reliable character.
- The ability to work full-time in Ruffwear’s Bend, Oregon, design studio and to travel domestically and internationally up to 15% of the time.
Make it yours:
Learn more… Anne McDonald